Electricians remind residents of Christmas gentle security ideas

QUINCY (WGEM) – On-site electricians are reminding residents to be careful when putting up their Christmas lights this year.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that between 2013 and 2017, 780 house fires were caused by Christmas decorations, which caused $ 12 million in property damage, injured 34 people, and killed three.

Lowe electrician Patrick McDonald said it was easy for residents to protect themselves and their loved ones.

“You want to make sure that when you plug your lights in, you plug in a ground fault breaker outlet,” he said. “If moisture gets into the pipe in this way, it triggers and there are no electrical problems in the whole house.”

Amy Krohn of Quincy said her Christmas display had a rich history going back to the 1960s with Louie and Mary Lou Louge.

She said they don’t take any chances and have a crew to take care of the electrical setup so they don’t have accidents.

“We try to make sure we don’t blow a fuse in the house. Sometimes when it rains some things can fail if the RCD is working properly,” she said. “We hope people don’t get out of their cars and walk around on the cables, but sometimes it happens.”

McDonald said something as simple as reading the manufacturer’s instructions could save a fuse.

“Lots of lights, you can only put so many together,” he said. “Usually they’ll tell you on the package that you can string five, ten. I’ve seen some that you can string up to 25 of them at a time.

McDonald said ignoring it could cause problems.

“If you do more than that, it will use too much power and you could burn the wires, triggers and things like that,” he said.

Comments are closed.