Crews battle attic fireplace in Tipp Metropolis
TIPP CITY, Ohio (WDTN) – Firefighters in Tipp City battled an attic fire late Wednesday night.
The incident occurred on the 500 block on Horton Ave. in Tipp City around 11:45 p.m. when the crews were sent to a fire for the first time. The Tipp City first responder reported fire and smoke from the roof near the rear of the building.
Engine 7 quickly went to the second floor and pulled the ceiling to expose and extinguish the attic fire. Head 2 was responsible for the primary search and ventilation tasks.
The inmate evacuated the residence after being informed of the fire by a neighbor. The smoke alarms did not go off because of the fire in the attic. The neighbor reported the fire to 911.
According to crews, the cause of the fire appears to be inadvertently electrical. The only heat source near the fire was a thermostat for a roof fan.
The damage to the structure is estimated at $ 35,000 and to the contents at $ 5,000. The homeowner was driven away by the fire. The Tipp City fire brigade interrupted the power supply.
The Vandalia and West Milton Fire Brigades provided mutual assistance. No injuries were reported in the fire.