Attic hearth rapidly extinguished | Winchester Star

GAINESBORO – An electrical problem with a fan is believed to have caused an attic fire in a house on Block 100 off Cricket Lane, which was reported around 6:20 p.m. on Wednesday.

Homeowners Kirby D. Irwin and Maureen P. Irwin were outside when firefighters arrived, and no one was injured in the fire, according to Chief Don Jackson of the Gainesboro Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company. He said firefighters broke a hole in the roof to vent the fire, which took about five minutes to put out.

The fire was extinguished at 6:40 p.m., according to a press release from the Frederick County Fire Department. After the fire was extinguished, a tarpaulin was placed on the roof.

Maureen Irwin said she and her husband smelled smoke and at first thought it was from outside the house. When she noticed it was coming from the attic, Irwin said she opened the attic door to turn off the fan. “I couldn’t get there because there was flames, so we just got out,” she said.

The 924 square foot home was built in 1979, according to Frederick County information. The home has a total value of $ 142,700. The publication said the fire caused $ 12,000 to $ 15,000 in damage.

Comments are closed.