Amazon warehouse fire in Maryland ignited by solar panels: investigators

Investigators have found that a two-alarm fire in an Amazon warehouse in Maryland was started by solar panels on the roof.

The fire broke out in the Perryville warehouse on Wednesday and quickly spread across the roof. Firefighters worked to put out fires on “multiple solar panels, HVAC units and roofing materials.”

Estimated losses were around $ 500,000 and the fight took about an hour and a half as the fire broke out in an “unprecedented” area of ​​the building.

A fire broke out on the roof of the Amazon warehouse in Perryville, MD. It took about 60 firefighters 80 minutes to extinguish the flames.
(Susquehanna Hose Co. Twitter)

No injuries were reported in the incident, but an employee was investigated on site, The Baltimore Sun reported.

A subsequent investigation by Maryland’s Office of the State Fire Marshal – a state police agency – found the preliminary cause was “accidental” and included “an unspecified incident involving the solar panel system.”

The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) advises that if improperly installed, solar panels can cause fires, usually due to “arcing … faulty wiring or insufficient insulation”.

Big corporations and solar panel fires are no strangers to each other: Walmart began suing Tesla over solar panel installations after seven fires broke out on the roofs of their stores across the country in 2019.

The fires were the result of “years of gross negligence and non-compliance with industry standards” and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Perryville investigation could reverse their decision as soon as new information comes to light.

Comments are closed.